Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Santa Fe Chicken - Crockpot Recipe!

One of my favorite things about the fall is crockpot cooking!  Soups, stews, roasts...you name it I love it in the crockpot.  Sometimes I wonder if things taste so good just because it doesn't take much effort.  There is nothing I love more than throwing a meal together in the crockpot in the morning and being able to just dish it out at dinner time.  So...here is another healthy, delicious and easy crock pot meal for you! It doesn't get much better than that does it?! This is so far one of my all time favorites.  I, of course, modified the original as I usually do so here is the recipe I use!

Santa Fe Chicken

Ingredients:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 can rotel
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can diced or crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons cilantro
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin (I do a heaping 1/2 teaspoon...the original calls for 1)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Put all ingredients into the crockpot.  Stir together. Place the chicken on top and coat with the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Simple as that!


After the time is up, remove chicken and shred and then place back into the crockpot and mix everything together. Let sit for a few minutes.

You can serve over rice, with tortillas, with cheese, sour cream and salsa. It can also be made as a soup if you add more chicken broth.  I like it thicker like a stew so I only use 1 cup.  It is low calorie on it's own so you can even eat it by itself for a flavorful yet low calorie dinner!


 

This is one of my favorite go-to meals because I usually keep those ingredients in the pantry, so if I'm not sure what to make...this is it! It's been a hit at get-togethers too...just double the recipe!  Let me know if you try it and like it! :)

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment